Saturday, July 25, 2009

Grassroot Soccer and Fundraising

Welcome to my Grassroot Soccer Blog!! This website allows me to share my experience as a GRS intern with everyone. On August 2nd, I leave to spend 12 months in at least one of the nations in which Grassroot Soccer operates – Zambia, South Africa, and Malawi. As a Field Intern, I will be involved with all aspects of the successful delivery of the GRS program – training professional soccer players and other community leaders to use the GRS Curriculum; building relationships with private, non-profit, and governmental organizations; and designing, monitoring, and evaluating program implementation.

GRS is a South Africa-based non-governmental organization that integrates the cross-cultural appeal of soccer with evidence-based HIV prevention and life skills programs that arm African youth with the knowledge, skills, and support to live HIV free. Translating research into action and leveraging the excitement around the 2010 World Cup, GRS attracts and engages African youth through schools, community outreach, and social multimedia. Since 2003, over 270,000 youth in 16 countries have received comprehensive HIV prevention education through programs linked to GRS.

Because this is a volunteer position with a non-profit organization, I will not receive any compensation for my year of service. With the exception of housing, GRS is unable to provide financial assistance or services for its Field Interns. Therefore, I am asking for your support in covering my expenses while I am in Africa. This includes travel to and from Africa, local transportation, food, health insurance, required immunizations and medications, and even everyday items such as toiletries. My fundraising goal to support my 12 months of service is $12,000 and I am growing closer and closer to meeting this goal everyday.

Here are the three easy ways for you to contribute to my year abroad:

1. Mail a check made out to Sarah Bell (with 'Grassroot' in the memo). This will ensure that your donation is easily accessible while I am traveling in Africa.

Send to:
Sarah Bell
2912 Brighton Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120

2. Mail a check made out to Grassroot Soccer Inc. (*with Sarah Bell in the memo*). This will go to my GRS account. All donations are tax deductible, and you will receive a tax form from the GRS office.

Send to:
Grassroot Soccer, Inc.
PO Box 712
Norwich, VT 05055

3. Use the 'Donate' function found on the upper-righthand side of this website. An easy, secure way to use your credit card that is also tax deductible!

For your records, Grassroot's Soccer's Federal Tax ID number is #43-1957920. If you have any questions please contact Angela Tucker at (802) 649-2900 or angelat@grassrootsoccer.org

No comments:

Post a Comment